Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Quiet Book

I finally finished the quiet book! I had a lot of fun making it and I think it turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself. I got most of my ideas from other blogs, but a few of the ideas are all me ( like the astronaut page and the cover). My printer isn't working right now, so I couldn't print out any templates, so I drew everything myself, which took a lot of time, but was still pretty fun.


The caterpillar pieces snap on and off with snap buttons. The pocket on the inside cover is for extra pieces, small books, pictures, etc.








Adeline loves the dinosaur pages. You can brush the t-rex's teeth with the little toothbrush.


I haven't actually finished the astronaut page yet. I plan to print some pictures of our faces and laminate them and put them in the zipper part of the space suit. The plastic part of the helmet folds down so you'll be able to put our faces on the astronaut.











I still need to buy some little hair clips to put in the pocket for this page. When Adeline is older she'll be able to braid it, but for now, we'll just do clips.


A few people have seen it and said that they wanted to make one too, so here are a few words of advice that I have for anyone wanting to make one.

1. Make the pockets loose and big enough so that the pieces can fit in nicely. Stitch the pockets on really well. My pockets all ended up very tight. oops.
2. Don't make the pockets out of felt. the pieces will be hard to get in and out of the pockets.
3. I used very thick pellon material for the pages and I love it! You can find it with the linings at the fabric store.
4. I hand stitched most things and I just used regular thread. If I were to start over, I would use embroidery floss.

Adeline likes her book, and I'm sure Bobby will like it when he's older, but I'm not sure either one will like it as much as I do!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Justin and Lindsay Wilkin said...

You and Hannah are both so crafty. That turned out really cute! :)

Justin and Lindsay Wilkin said...

That is pretty nifty. I am impressed, not just at the book, but also at your patience in making it! Can I have one for church also?... I get bored sometimes! :) -Justin