Wednesday, April 1, 2009

We're Having a Girl

We had our ultrasound yesterday and "it" has now been labeled "her."  Actually, I kept calling her a "him" before we knew, mostly because I think that's just the default when you don't know what to call something.  Rob and I are both excited, but now that its sinking in, I'm also getting a little scared/nervous.  I mean, I remember being a teenage girl...It is a little scary knowing that I will be responsible for one of those.  But I am completely excited about all the fun shopping I get to do now!  The kids in my class are super excited for me too.  They spent most of the day today trying to come up with a name for my baby.  Here are the student's top choices:

Haley Jr.

Princess

Naming the child after them

I think I'll keep looking for other names :)  We have a few names in mind, but haven't settled on anything yet.  Here is some that I have been thinking of, but like I said, it could all change.

Reagan

Raelynn...possibly a little too southern sounding

Consuela Raspberry (j/k  this is the name I always wanted to name my child when I was little :)

Allison (Allie)...Rob's not really on board with this one, though

Rosemary...I like old fashioned names, but this may be too old...I like it though

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  I just don't want something that is too popular. 

And on a side note, Rob and I probably shouldn't watch the news anymore.  It leads to too much yelling at the TV, grumbling about the government, and puts thoughts into my head about moving to other countries just to avoid the bad becoming worse.  How have we let our government take so many liberties in changing their roles?  Now I am no constitution expert, but I'm pretty sure that the founding fathers did not intend for our government to bail out banks and control car companies!  And then they encourage Americans to go out and buy new cars (which no one can afford because we are in an economic crisis!) by backing warranties and giving tax breaks (which really isn't enough to make a brand new car affordable, not that I want them to give more, I don't think they should get involved at all).  Didn't we get into this mess partly because banks were encouraging Americans to buy things they couldn't afford?  Since when was buying something you can't afford a good financial decision???  Plus, who wants to buy crappy American-made cars anyway?  Then you have the union workers who work these assembly lines and whatnot and they are getting paid more than I do for doing a way easier job.  (Yeah, I know its a little hypocritical of me to complain about that since the NEA fights for my salary, but I am proud to say that I am NOT a member of the NEA!  I don't believe in it).  For those of you who are still reading at this point, thanks for letting me get on my little soap box and vent. 

Oh, and one last note on the pregnancy.  I have now developed a new symptom that I HATE....leg cramps!!!  I've only had them twice now, but both times I have woken up to the most excruciating pain and had to use a great deal of self-restraint not to wake the neighborhood with my screams.  I had one this morning, and it is now 10:30 at night and my leg is still tight and uncomfortable.  Anyone else experience this or know a good remedy?

7 comments:

The Dunn Family said...

I read thru the gov't rant to the leg cramps part. You & Justin could talk forever about how terrible the gov't is right now! I had leg cramps several times starting in my 2nd trimester. I would wake up screaming in pain, and luckily, Justin would be there to work it out for me. They were terrible. My calf would be so tight that I couldn't move my foot to walk for a while afterwards. Take in extra potassium (bananas and potatoes). It really helps. Once I started eating a baked potato about twice a week I didn't have any more cramps.

Oh, I like your names! Check out www.babynamewizard.com and click on the name voyager. It will map out how popular each name has been in the past 50 - 100 yrs. It's really cool.

The Piersons said...

Yay!!! Another little girl in the ward! We found Brinley's name in a baby book. I think Reagan is adorable. That was one of my choices but my darling husband was not on board. I had the worst leg cramps, and believe it or not the one thing that got them to go away was to get up and walk around on them. I have no idea how that works but it did. I started eating bananas and that helped too. Hope it gets better! Congrats again! And we have TONS of tiny little girl clothes if you would like them.

Justin and Lindsay Wilkin said...

Haley, we are so EXCITED for you and Rob!!! I was not happy to read about your leg cramps! Only because it makes me wonder if I will get them. Just one more element of pregnancy I guess, oh boy!!! :) It sounds like the others gave you great suggestions about what to do and I have taken notes, ha ha. Hope that you guys have a very HAPPY EASTER!!!

Kauti Nicholls said...

what about Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock??? just an idea....Picking names is hard. I already have a girl name in mind for a future girl (if we have another girl!?)--Avery. I just love that name. I have no boy names that I like though. Good luck on your search!

I am excited for you to have a girl--that is so exciting! Girls are more fun to dress :) & accessorize :)

Never got the leg cramps...that stinks--I hope they don't persist.

Totally agree w/ you about the news. When we had to get a new car we didn't even consider anything american-made b/c they are unreliable and crappy cars. Consumer reports rates all the american car companies at the bottom. which is just great that we are paying for them to stay afloat....ha.

Ashley said...

leg cramps... you need calcium and bananas. thats what my doctor told me. it helped me out alot! reagan thats my favorite name. that was going to be grays name if he were a girl.

Shanna said...

I hate to give you conflicting advice but my ob said bananas only help with sports cramps. He had me add a little salt to my diet and that seemed to help. I had those darn cramps from 2 months all the way to the end! I hope they ease up. It was fun seeing what you guys are up to! I love the little dresses you've been sewing. They are so cute. I can't believe you only have 2 months left! Ant wait to meet her. We LOVE the name Reagan, especially for a girl. Take care and I'll call you soon!

Lisa said...

HAHA...I just about died when I saw Consquela Rasberry as one of the names! Ah, good memories...